At the 1928 Synod of the Presbyterian Church of the Gold Coast, the Basel Mission was requested to establish a girls’ school in Ashanti. The request was in direct response to the Divine Commission to the Church to which the Presbyterian Church of the Gold Coast belonged; go forth therefore and make all nations my disciples-and teach them; (Matt. 28: 19 – 20).
In response to this Biblical injunction and in recognition of Dr Aggrey’s clarion call for the education of the girl, the Basel Mission Girls’ School and the Basel Mission Women’s Training College were established in Agogo on the 1st of March, 1931. These schools were established by a young missionary teacher, Miss Helena Schlatter (later became Mrs. Haegele). She was later joined by two other missionaries, Rev. Buechner and Miss G. Goetz. The aim of opening the Training College was to train Ghanaian women teachers for the Girls’ Mission school which had started and inculcated in these young teachers, Christian principles that would portray them as good teachers, parents and leaders who could build Christian homes and take up leadership roles in the society.
To ensure that high academic and moral standard were set and maintained, the students were subjected to the proverbial ‘Presbyterian Discipline’. That level of discipline indeed yielded great and wonderful dividends for all the girls and women who passed through the Girls’ School and the Training College, most of whom are in responsible positions, are still very well known for their moral uprightness, general comportment and discipline.
In 1942, during World War II, the Military took over buildings of the Basel Mission Girls’ School and the Training College. The Pupils and students were taken to the Seminary at Akropong, however returned to Agogo in 1943. In 1950, the Presbyterian Church took over the School and the College but the chain of Missionary leadership of the college came to an end in 1972 when Miss Debrunner handed over to Miss Annor-Kwakye a Ghanaian. However, Miss Grace Boafo had taken over the leadership of the College for three years before Miss Debrunner. In 1954, the Principal, Dr Duzi, two tutors as well as 18 students who were studying for 4- yr Certificate “A” course was transferred to Aburi to start the course there. Agogo concentrated on Cert ‘B’ course and a single stream of post ‘B’ course. It was not until 1963 that the 4-yr Certificate “A” course was reintroduced. In 1976, after 45 years of existence, the college turned co-educational with the admission of 10 male students, the name was accordingly changed from Agogo Presbyterian Women Training College to Agogo Presbyterian Training College. Accommodation problems, however, did not allow the continual admission of male students and after two years’ admission, it was discontinued.
In 1977, a Demonstration Kindergarten and Primary School was attached to the College. In 1979 the Junior Secondary School was started with the admission of boys in the Girls’ School and the Girls’ School completely phased out in 1980. Agogo Presbyterian Women’s College of Education, APWCE, is dynamic, progressive and continually evolving for teacher preparation in the Country. The College offers a comprehensive and nationally approved teacher training curriculum that is both academic and professional. Since its inception, the College has run different pre-service teacher training programme at different times to meet the teacher demands of this country. These programmes include 2-year Certificate ‘B’, 2-year post ‘B’, 4-year Certificate ‘A’, 2-year Post-Sec and 3-year Post-Sec.
In September 2002, a new teacher education Policy dubbed IN-IN-OUT was introduced. This was followed by the upgrading of teacher training colleges into diploma awarding institutions in October 2004. Central to this restructuring is the need to produce effective teachers for quality delivery in the schools. The Diploma in Education programme puts more emphasis on training a generalist teacher who is able to teach at both the Primary and Junior High School levels. The programme is based on the IN-IN-OUT structure where students spend the first two years on college-based activities and courses while the final year is spent outside the college and devoted to school attachment (internship) in the basic school under the supervision of mentors and link tutors. The courses are taken to consist of foundation courses and professional courses. The foundation courses are English language studies, Mathematics, Ghanaian language and Culture, Music and Dance, Environmental and Social Studies, Moral Art, Catering, Sewing, Information and Communication Technology Education, and HIV/AIDS Education. The professional courses are Educational Studies, Education Psychology, Philosophy, Curriculum Studies, School Management Guidance and Counselling and Research Methods.
To be an institution of excellence among the best in the country by 2020 and beyond.
Our mission is to produce high calibre of disciplined, innovative, dedicated, competent, committed and selfless teachers to man the various levels of education in Ghana through the pursuance of a comprehensive and effective use of technology and development of leadership and implementation of educational policies.
The Agogo Presbyterian Women’s College of Education has produced high calibre of females who have distinguished themselves and have also made some great strides in the history of Ghana. Among the personalities includes Mrs Theodosia Okoh (Late), the one who designed the Ghana flag.
Our Core Values are:
The governing body of the college is the College Council which consists of
The Statutes of the College are captured in the Harmonised Statutes for Colleges of Education, as established under sub-section (1) of section 1 of the Colleges of Education Act 2012, Act 847.
Other leaders of the College are;